Before use, on every occasion, inspect guards for wear and tear, cracks, sun bleach, frayed stitching or strapping. Do not use if buckles are not cleaned. If any defects are found, do not use the Urbanclimb product. Contact us regarding warranty conditions. When following the instructions below, refer to the corresponding illustrations displayed.
PREPARATION : BOOT FIT (IF REQUIRED)
If boot is too big for lower portion of the X3, cut the padding away below a horizontal line through the top of the logos - Top of the arc and top of the X.
Only cut padding out if absolutely necessary
Be careful when cutting padding not to dig the knife too far into the shell.
Padding not glued below this line to allow padding removal. Do not re-glue padding.
- The X3 system is designed for high mobility operations. If your boot has a wide/large ankle support, the lower portion of the X3 may not fit around it. In cases like these, the lower portion of the X3 padding can be removed. As per the diagrams above, cut the padding away below a horizontal line through the top of the logos - Top of the arc and top of the X. We have not glued this portion of the padding down to allow for this.
- Do not re-glue padding. Some glues will significantly weaken the shells. Contact us for appropriate glue to use if absolutely necessary to re-glue padding.
- Be careful when cutting padding not to dig the knife too far into the shell. However, light surface knife cuts and nicks will not generally affect the performance of the product.
PREPARATION : GUARD WIDENING (IF REQUIRED)
The X3 System is designed to fit a wide range of leg sizes. If the X3 Guard standard fit is too narrow it can be widened to fit the operators leg. The plastic has memory and will hold this new width once the guard widening process has been completed correctly.
Place the Guard on top of the supplied dry bags, ensure bags are on a slippery surface to allow guard to stretch open (smooth concrete, polished floors etc). Place one bag under one side and another bag under the other side. (use plastic bags or the like if you do not have access to dry bags).
Choose the end you wish to widen. Stand on and apply constant pressure to one or the other end of the guard (standing near top or bottom end). This will temporarily flatten the guard, and the bags will allow the padding to slide over the floor.
Hold this pressure for 20 seconds.
- Wear soft shoes/trainers when completing the guard widening process.
- Place the Guard on top of the supplied dry bags, ensure bags are on a slippery surface to allow guard to stretch open (smooth concrete, polished floors etc). Place one bag under one side and another bag under the other side. (use plastic bags or the like if you do not have access to dry bags).
- Choose the end you wish to widen. Stand on and apply constant pressure to one or the other end of the guard (standing near top or bottom end). This will temporarily flatten the guard, and the bags will allow the padding to slide over the floor.
- Hold this pressure for 20 seconds.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the guard is at correct width.
- This widening process is not designed to be repeated more that 10 times (at each end) over the life of the guard.
- Do not stand on both ends of the guard at the same time.
- Do not bounce up and down on the guard during the process.
- Do not reverse the process once the guard has been widened in an attempt to narrow the guard, this could compromise the structural integrity of the plastic.
- If the padding separates from the guard DO NOT RE-GLUE. Contact us for info on gluing technique. Be aware some glues significantly compromise the strength of the plastics.
- Elastic strapping - Intended for the top and bottom of both the shin guard and kneepad.
- Rigid strapping - Intended for the bottom of both the shin guard and kneepad.
- Hose - Intended for the top and bottom of both the shin guard and kneepad.
- Thread strapping as per diagram for both the elastic strapping and rigid strapping. Ensure silicone is on leg side.
- Threading the hose is the same.
Attach Kneepad Joiner
- Peel back padding on Kneepad
- Attach Velcro section on the joiner strap to the Velcro on the kneepad.
- Firmly Press to secure and fold back the padding to cover.
- Peel back padding on guard.
- Attach Velcro section on the joiner strap to the Velcro on the guard.
- Firmly Press to secure and fold back the padding to cover.
- Test fit and adjust if necessary to obtain the desired fit.
- Urbanclimb products must be clean and free from dirt before use. Inspect before use.
- Urbanclimb products must be worn with closed-toe / appropriate footwear.
- Start the process of preparing the Urbanclimbers by ensuring Calf Straps are undone.
- Ensure the Stirrup is threaded over the lower Load-Buckle loop, not through it. 1.
- Ensure 2 inches (5cm) of Stirrup Strapping is threaded through the Load-Buckle, this is the Stirrup Running End. 2.
- Place left or right foot through the Stirrup loop of appropriate guard. Look for L and R marked on the top middle tooth.
- Clip on the top Calf Strap. 3
- Clip on the bottom Calf Strap. 4
- Hook clip onto the hole on the guard.
- Rotate the rear of the clip towards the guard until you hear a positive clip sound.
- Test to check and ensure the clip is firmly in place.
- If any clips come loose reverse the clip and attach from inside the guard.
- Release the Load-Buckle, as shown. 5
- Pull the Stirrup Running End through the Load-Buckle until the unit is sitting comfortably on top of foot. 6
- Bite Load-Buckle grips into Stirrup to create lock. Do this by pushing the Load-Buckle into the stirrup with thumb. 7
- Stand up and test fit, adjust all straps to secure and ensure comfort.
- Stow all loose ends in elastic fasteners. 8
- Test Load-Buckle / Stirrup lock by placing full body weight on Urbanclimb tooth. 9
- Test both Left and Right Guards, as shown.
- If Buckle slips go back to Step 03
- If Load-Buckle continues to slip do not use this product. Contact Urbanclimb regarding warranty conditions.
DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT WITHOUT FIRST CAREFULLY READING, AND UNDERSTANDING THESE WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS
The Urbanclimb product is to be used for: stabilization assistance and lower limb protection only. This is not a climbing safety device or harness.
Activities at height such as climbing, rock scrambling, bouldering, via ferrata, caving, rappelling, rescue / police, law enforcement / fire fighting / military operations, hiking, hunting, work at height and exploration are dangerous activities which may lead to severe injury or death. Before using Urbanclimb products understand the risks involved. Minors and others not able to assume responsibility must be under the direct control of an experienced and responsible person. You are responsible for your own actions and decisions when using / operating Urbanclimb products, and you personally assume all the risks and responsibilities for all damage injury or death, which may occur during or following the use and/or misuse of Urbanclimb products in any manner whatsoever. If you are not able, or not in a position to assume this responsibility or to take this risk, do not use this product.
Before using this product, read and understand all instructions and warnings that accompany it, and familiarize yourself with its proper use, capabilities and limitations. Seek qualified instruction. Contact us if you are uncertain about how to use this product. Do not modify this product in any way. Failure to read and follow these warnings and instructions can result in severe injury or death.
Extreme temperatures (below -20 Deg C / -4 Deg F and above 200 Deg C / 392 Deg F) may negatively affect the performance of the product. Note all models are Fire Resistant UL94 VO rated.
In the case of severe impact, the product may be damaged or destroyed. Deforming and cracking on impact allows the product to absorb the maximum amount of energy. Always retire the Urbanclimb products after a severe impact, or if the Urbanclimbers are deformed or cracked. Do not use if buckles are worn, damaged or not functioning.
Do not use if stitching is frayed or damaged. Do not use if shell is cracked, damaged, scoured or sun bleached. Always test and ensure Load-Buckle is locked onto stirrup, and all teeth, guard shell and stirrup-assembly can hold desired weight before using / operating this product. Do not use if buckles are not cleaned.
TECHNICAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE
Knowledge of basic climbing technique is required to use this product. An adequate understanding / training in appropriate climbing techniques and methods is essential to use Urbanclimb products – do not use otherwise. This product must only be used by competent and responsible persons, or by those placed under the direct visual control of a competent and responsible person.
This device must be used in conjunction with normal approved climbing technique(s) – alternate and approved secure climbing hand and foot holds must be used in conjunction with the use of this product. This device is not to be used to secure any person
or thing above the ground or water.
To ensure good maintenance and traceability of this product it is strongly recommended to allocate it to a sole user.
Before and after each use it is necessary to check the condition of the shell, teeth, buckle, stirrup and stitching. Do not hesitate to remove a product from service / use if it is showing signs of wear which might affect its strength or limit its function. Damp, icy, muddy, sunny and dusty / sandy conditions may accelerate the deterioration of this product.
This technical notice illustrates authorized / approved ways of using this product. Do not misuse this product in any way. Only the techniques of use illustrated in the diagrams shown (and not crossed out) are authorized.
- Always employ at least two other approved securing methods (holds / points of contact) in conjunction with using Urbanclimb products. 1, 2
- Note: Urbanclimber Teeth gripped onto surface DO NOT constitute a secure point of contact or hold.
Do not use Urbanclimb products as a sole secure point or hold.
- Place shin and teeth on edge, at no more than 30 degrees, in conjunction with at least two other approved and secure points of contact. 1
- Check teeth and stirrup grip the surface and do not slip before transfer of full weight onto Urbanclimb product.
- Once sure of holds and Urbanclimber grip, transfer remaining weight onto Urbanclimb product and leverage body up or down obstacle. Or simply apply body weight to Urbanclimb product to stabilize static position.
Do not vandalize Urbanclimbers
CARE & MAINTENANCE
Ensure buckles are cleaned and free from blockages, and dirt / foreign objects. Dirt or foreign objects lodged in the buckles can result in stirrup system failure. Clean complete Urbanclimber unit with warm water and FROGLUBE® Solvent - wipe clean. Apply FROGLUBE® CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant and Preservative) to Load-Buckle and allow it to absorb for a few minutes, then wipe off excess. Before storing, allow complete Urbanclimb unit to dry before placing back in Urbanclimb Dry Bag.
ARID ENVIRONMENT CARE
For optimum performance in ARID ENVIRONMENTS, put Urbanclimbers away wet after cleaning, seal them in their Urbanclimb Dry Bag. Or seal in Urbanclimb Dry Bag with a tablespoon of clean water. Ensure buckle is lubricated. Do not let them bake in the sun. To remain strong and flexible, the Urbanclimb plastic requires some moisture.
Note: FROGLUBE® products are completely bio based, do not require HAZMAT protocols, and are recommended for use with all Urbanclimb products. FROGLUBE® products can be used freely and disposed of without damaging the environment. For more information on FROGLUBE® go to
Our climbing aids have a one-year warranty period from the date of purchase to be free of defects from workmanship or material.
The warranty is extended exclusively to the original purchaser and does not apply to anyone else, and covers only normal, intended use. The warranty does not cover normal wear and tear or and damage, loss, or negligent conduct, abuse, misuse, improper use, improper shipping, inadequate fit, non-manufacturer repairs or modifications of any kind, fire, flood, war, or if used in any effort to violate any law. We shall not be held liable for any consequential damage, including loss, cost, expense, or inconvenience that may result from use or inability to use the climbing aids. The remedy available under this warranty is strictly limited to the purchase price of the product.
The warranty does not cover the dry bags.
A product climbing aid that is found to be defective, within the one-year warranty period, may be returned to us. Contact us at email@example.com for instructions on returning the product. The Warranty is only valid in the USA, Canada, EU member states, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand.
Please note that any warranty services or questions must be accompanied by the order or invoice number from the transaction through which the warranty product was purchased.
The order or invoice number serves as your warranty number and must be retained.
We will offer no warranty service without this number. We will, at its option, repair or replace the product, or refund the original purchase price, not including shipping.
Except as specifically stated above, we make no further warranties or guarantees and specifically excludes implied warranties, including implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for particular purpose.